I didn’t actually do any quilting this month, but I did do a lot of sewing. In addition to the pillows (see previous post) I must have made 3 dozen Santa ornaments and 1 Hanukkah decoration.
I purchased this Santa from the boutique at my guild’s quilt show last year. Not sure who made it, but I thought it was just too cute. It was easy to figure out how it was made so I set about making one for nearly everyone – my family members in Estonia, teachers, relatives, friends! Santa is about 5 inches long with his hat flipped over.
If anyone knows the original designer, please let me know. I’d love to give credit where credit is due.
My son’s 4th grade teacher is Jewish, so I had to come up with at least one item that did not have a Santa. I have been collecting collecting Judaica fabric for a number of years to make a wedding quilt for my friend, Rayna. She was my Maid of Honor 15 years ago and I was in her wedding 7 years ago. Ok – so I’m a little late with the quilt – but I’m waiting for her to move from her small one bedroom apartment so she actually has room for a quilt. (It’s a good excuse, right?!) Anyway, I created a paper-pieced “ornament” to showcase a star from one of the fabrics. The “ornament” is about 6″ in diameter. I put a thin layer of batting inside and outlined the center star with silver thread on top and bobbin so on the back there is just the outline of the star in silver on a dark blue background.
I liked the way it turned out – maybe I’ll get cracking on that wedding quilt this year 🙂
I received a similar Santa ornament as a gift. I can’t help you give credit to the designer but I did make a pattern so others could make a paper pieced version of this ornament.
A few years ago I also did a blue version of the six pointed star. As I recall the center of mine was pieced too.
Thanks for reminding me about this ornament. I still think it’s one of the cutest and easiest to make. I found out in my January guild meeting – that the original pattern was created by Eleanor Burns and was featured in one of her earlier books. See my post from January 11, 2010. It was actually strip -pieced and then cut out with a template. https://hellemay.com/2010/01/11/santa-ornament-update/