I just had to share my latest quilt project! My younger son attends a Lutheran church based full day Kindergarten. Each week they focus on a different letter of the alphabet. Last week was “Q” week, so naturally I had asked if I could do a quilt project with the kids. It went so well and the kids enjoyed it so much that I wanted to share. For all those quilter moms and and teachers out there it was super easy and very popular!
The art teacher gave me sheets of 12″ x 18″ paper that was slightly heavier than cardstock – more like the oaktag of my school days. Using my rulers and my son’s help, we drew a 4 x 4 grid on each with 3″ squares. Using my rotary cutter, I trimmed the paper into 12″ blocks. Then I took all of my fabric scraps (especially the ones from the boys’ and other juvenile quilts I had made) and cut 3″ squares of fabric. I sprayed the fabric with sizing first to give it a little extra body. I must have cut 400 squares! I sorted them by color family and brought it all to school. Each child picked their own squares to put on their block. Applying glue to the paper with a glue stick seemed to work really well. I was worried that regular white glue would get too gloppy with the fabric.
When we were done, we had 18 unique 12″ blocks, which the teacher and I then arranged into a quilt on the wall. We used colored tape in between the blocks and one of those pre-cut wavy bulletin-board borders around the outside edge. It looks great! The kids were so proud of their individual and group quilt! The next day the teacher told me I had turned them all into mini quilt monsters as they cut up pieces of paper and wallpaper samples during their free time to make more quilts (even the boys!)! I couldn’t be more proud!
The pictures are a little skewed because the quilt is in a hallway and I couldn’t get it all in standing in front of it!